Monday, December 29, 2008

What's So Funny?


Henny Youngman, Jerry Seinfeld, Jerry Lewis, Jackie Mason, Adam Sandler, Fran Drescher, Howard Stern, Joan Rivers, Bert Lahr, Soupy Sales, Lenny Bruce, Sandra Bernhard, Pee Wee Herman, Jack Benny, Fanny Brice, Sid Caesar, Roseanne, Shelley Berman, Woody Allen, George Burns, The Three Stooges, Richard Lewis, Milton Berle, The Marx Brothers, Larry David, Rodney Dangerfield...the list is endless. Jewish comedians are ubiquitous.

Jews comprise less than one quarter of one percent of the world's population, yet it has been estimated that fully 70% of comedians are Jewish. Why? Who knows? There are many theories, but what is known for sure is that Jews have a special relationship to comedy.

We invite you to comment here on why YOU think Jews are so connected to comedy, or just share a joke with us. I'll start:

Manny and Isaac found themselves sitting next to each other in a New York bar. After a while, Manny looks at Isaac and says, "I can't help but think, from listening to you, that you're from Israel." Isaac responds proudly, "I am!" Manny says, "So am I! And where might you be from?" Isaac answers, "I'm from Jerusalem." Manny responds, "So am I! And where did you live?" Isaac says, "A lovely little area two miles east of King David's Hotel. Not too far from the old city" Manny says, "Unbelievable! What school did you attend?" Isaac answers, "Well, I attended Yeshiva University." Manny gets really excited, and says, "And so did I. Tell me, what year did you graduate?" Isaac answers, "I graduated in 1984." Manny exclaims, "Amazing! This is Berschert. Hashem wanted us to meet! I can hardly believe our good luck at winding up in the same bar tonight. Can you believe it, I graduated from Yeshiva University in 1984 also." About this time, Moishe enters the bar, sits down, and orders a beer. The bartender walks over to him shaking his head & mutters, "It's going to be a long night tonight, the Goldberg twins are drunk again."

January 30, Temple Beth El celebrates and explores the connection between Jews and comedy at our Synaplex Shabbat. We will feature a choice of services, catered dinner, improv workshop and more. Stay tuned to this blog for details, or call the Temple for more information: 253-564-7101.


No comments: